All of Episcopal Church's Problems Helpfully Summarized on Back of Hybrid Vehicle

December 11, 2006 12:00 PM

Here's a photograph of a car I see around town quite a bit:

So here's the question: which one of those stickers makes all the rest redundant?  Is it the 2-year old Kerry-Edwards sticker?  The sticker for the Human Rights Campaign?  The one that says "Prayerfully Pro-choice?  The Episcopal Shield?  Or the fact that they are all slapped on the back of the world's ugliest hybrid car?

Couldn't any one of those things, by itself, make the same point about the driver of this car?  Yes, we get it.  You are liberal.  We had you pegged at hello.  We are not confused in any respect about your world view.

It is incredible, though.  I am a lifelong Episcopalian--and I have absolulely nothing in common with the driver of this car.  Nothing.  In fact, the driver of this car is for everything I am against.  Kerry-Edwards?  Please.  Gay Marriage?  Sorry, no.  Pro-abortion?  Definitely no.  Believer in global warming?  Heck no.  If we need more dinosaurs to turn into oil, we can always burn the liberals.

I even find the color of the car offensive.  Honda describes it as "citrus-yellow."  In reality it is a hideous, puke shade of chartreuse.  The color is an affront to the senses.  As is the entire shape of the car.

And yet, the driver is an Episcopalian.  Everyone thinks that Episcopalians still have great aesthetics in common.  This car certainly disproves that.

The car is a Honda Insight, which was discontinued in 2006, after Honda was unable to sell more than 14,000 of them.  Over a six-year period.  Does that say something about whether this driver's choices are in line with the general public's?  Does it say anything about the modern Episcopal church's realistic chances for evangelism?

What does it mean when no one's buying what you're selling?

Comments

And yet, the driver is an Episcopalian. Everyone thinks that Episcopalians still have great aesthetics in common. This car certainly disproves that.

Katharine Jefferts Schori's choice of investiture vestments is also a counter example.

Allen Lewis   ·  December 12, 2006 10:37 AM

Katharine Jefferts Schori's choice of investiture vestments is another counter example.

Allen Lewis   ·  December 12, 2006 10:44 AM

NB&S: ROTFL, and I agree in the main with what you've posted here. You might want to smudge out the license plate number, though.

st. anonymous   ·  December 12, 2006 01:59 PM

I thought about that, but it was beyond my technical abilities. Eventually, I just decided that this person put all the stickers on the back of their own car. So they intend to be noticed, and what's here is no different than what thousands of people would see while driving behind this car.

Also, I don't think there's any way to look the driver up based on their plates--I think only the cops can do that. If I'm wrong about that, someone please advise me, and I'll try (again) to photoshop out the license plate.

I'm not trying to throw any unsuspecting person before the wolves--but it does seem that the owner of the car is fine with letting folks know his/her opinions.

NBS   ·  December 12, 2006 02:57 PM

As long as it is not illegal, keep it on! I praise God whenever humor is thrown into the mix of all the other. It is only truly funny if there is some truth to it and we sure have a lot of that here. Great photo.

Melissa

Melissa Fountain   ·  December 12, 2006 03:08 PM

The caption says it all. This is wonderful, thank you for the best laugh I've had in awhile!

Trini   ·  December 12, 2006 03:20 PM

There are websites that offer reverse lookups of license plates to show the owner. So anyone with the money can do it. Still, it is no different than what anyone could do just walking past the car...

Randy Muller (Diocese of Northern California)   ·  December 12, 2006 03:28 PM

It's like a little liberal tornado, touching down right in that parking lot. And those hybrid cars run on nickel batteries, the production of which is absolutely BRUTAL on the environment (nickel smelting is a dirty business), but I'm sure nothing could touch the driver's serene self-approbation.

Dr. Mabuse   ·  December 12, 2006 04:36 PM

The beauty of the historic Episcopal Church is that it has been the church of the middle way, wide enough to accept a broad spectrum of theological and social opinion.

Of late, however, the EC has been beset by those who would highjack the tradition of the middle way in favor of a more narrow (never mind whether liberal or conservative) viewpoint -- sort of the "Let us create God in our image" crowd.

James Wagner, St. Louis   ·  December 13, 2006 02:19 PM

Whenever the Episcopal church or any other church panders to the cult of the middle, the only thing left is the lowest common denominator. It is only when a church will stand up and be for God that organized religion will attract people. This is not the first time that the Episcopal church has struggled with its focus on God. Was it Dickens or someone else who thought the people of the London slums knew little of God and religion and the upper classes weren't much better?

AKL   ·  December 13, 2006 03:06 PM

James Wagner--
The "middle way" of the Episcopal/Anglican Church is between Catholicism and Protestantism. There is one truth that lies between the two--not a lot of dots on a spectrum, where one can pick and chose what works for them.

The phrase the "middle way" has nothing to do with a big tent, or allowing room for lots of different opinions. You're confusing theology with being polite to people who are wrong.

NBS   ·  December 14, 2006 10:40 AM

Not that it matters, but Honda sold approximately 34,000 Insights during its 6 years. And only about 400 in Canada as special order units only. Sadly, wikipedia is not the most reliable source of info.

Its demise was long-coming as the Honda execs knew they couldn't sell lots of two-seater hybrids. That's when the hybrid Civic and Accord were born.

Listen to me. I'm not even really a fan of Honda. How useless was THIS comment?

Useless Man   ·  December 14, 2006 12:25 PM

I'll tell you what's offensive. The fact that you don't allow other people to have opinons. Not everyone in the world agrees on everything, but they're allowed to have their own opinons.

Try living in India or China and see what the general public's choices are. If we had to abide by the majority's decisions, you would be doing what THEY want.

Furthermore, stating your opinion as fact is also offensive. The car doesn't disprove anything. What are you? Some kind of opinion-Nazi? Hahahaha!

God   ·  December 14, 2006 05:21 PM

Dear God:

Sorry to see you are off your meds!

Allen Lewis   ·  December 15, 2006 12:24 AM

God,
I can't tell if your gripe is with my criticism of the car, or my view on what the phrase "middle way" actually means. But I did want to chime in and note that I DO let other people have their opinions. As is evidenced by my generously allowing you to post inane comments on my website.

Everyone has the right to be wrong. They just don't have the right to have everyone else pretend they're not.

NBS   ·  December 15, 2006 10:40 AM

You almost make me want to check to see it this car has a twin at All Saints Pasadena. UGH!!

JaneD   ·  December 18, 2006 09:22 AM

Speaking of dinosaurs. Do all you folks still believe in the God thing?

and realy, if you all are gonna carry on like youre christian. atleast act the part your papa jesus suggested you act out, even if you dont believe it in your heart. since when did jesus recomment being a gutter snipe. i thought it was more like "do unto others...." "god will show mercy to those who show mercy."

sincerely.
(and dont go quoting jesus's tirade in the temple or Old Testament Yahweh slayings of foreign cities.)

a ninny mouse   ·  December 19, 2006 11:23 PM

I'm pretty sure Martin Luther drove the same model.

Nickie Goomba   ·  December 20, 2006 03:14 PM

Thank you for your .... um... opinion... ninny mouse.

By the way, you're a product of the public education system, aren't you?

Doug E.   ·  December 23, 2006 01:42 AM

Nasty: check
Brutish: check
Short: check (thankfully)
Trivial: to be added?
Car-fashion-bumper-sticker police: to be added to top?

Witty comments can be made about anything and I'll give you that for your title here ~ cute, really. And I guess it's human nature to invite other people to agree with us about our opinions even if the subject is simply the ugliness of a car with some stereo-typing bumper stickers. I'm not immune to those needs, either.
But I have to give a sarcastic Congrats on your life-long episcoplian status. It seems to have agreed with you. I guess maybe the driver of this car is a Nouveau Episcopalian.
Personally I think you're both the same. Sure contemporary society would illuminate your differences. But it's obvious that the trivialities of this day, month, or year are so in focus for both of you that the larger picture has become blurred. I haven't read your other posts, so it's just a guess based on the subject here. Some people don't really notice these details about cars; their color, number sold, when they left the production lines,"style", or the stickers on the back. Did that ever occur to you? So, it does seem that you are on the same plane with this individual, like it or not. I mean, his car and stickers did "speak" to you.

Why   ·  February 18, 2007 06:15 PM

I see all these giant SUV's around town with GWB stickers on them and fish emblems. Oh, did I mention they weave in and out of traffic like god will save them should they get in accident?

Offended? It's an opinion, just like you have crosses and fish and I LUV JESUS plates on your car. Why be offended by someone elses point of view that isn't the same as yours? How are they hurting you?

godboy   ·  February 20, 2007 10:04 PM

I should post bumper sticker that says "Smell Sulfur?" just to piss you guys off. The sorry fact there is that most Americans fail to see the significance of that bumper sticker... Too bad.

Brian   ·  February 25, 2007 08:35 AM

Goodness -- how did I miss this the first time around! I must resolve to surf more often!

Jackie   ·  February 25, 2007 11:49 PM

Slogan bumper stickers a manifestation of powerlessness. The owner who puts a bumper sticker on is saying: "I want my little voice to be heard. Listen to me damnit! Why don't you people listen to me?"

And, I always regard slogans on bumper stickers with the same credibility as that which one would afford the slogans on a placard held by the unwashed, heavily bearded man on the corner, right above the part that says: "the end is near."

Anton   ·  February 28, 2007 06:22 AM