I love you, a bushel and a peck

January 4, 2007 04:22 PM

Joyce Branham gets to keep her chickens!  The Ohio Civil Rights Commission intervened on her behalf, after the City of Fairfield decided it was illegal to keep barnyard animals in residential neighborhoods.  Mrs. Branham argued that the chickens are therapy animals that help her cope with chronic anxiety.  Now it's all settled, and she gets to keep her chickens!

Who's a little chicken?  Yes you are.  Yes you are a little chicken.

Photo: The Enquirer/Carrie Cochran.

UPDATE:  How is it that when the Enquirer changes the picture they have running--after I have copied it and posted it here--this photo automatically changes and gets switched out when they change theirs?  These internets, I tell you I will never understand it.  I thought the other picture went with my caption better.

Anyway: Does the Fairfield chronic anxiety-chicken lady remind anyone else of the Miami Township jumping goat-ADHD boy?  I guess the moral of these stories is that you can keep any kind of farm animal you want in a residential neighborhood, as long as you have a doctor's note.  Such legal silliness would not be necessary if people were more mature about chickens and goats!

TrackBack

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference I love you, a bushel and a peck:

» January 7 roundup from Overlawyered
New York Times hoisted by its own petard. [Point of Law] Insult to injury: spammer sues spam victim. [Time; Concurring Opinions] Securities class actions down: what does it mean? [Point of Law] When should Daubert... [Read More]

» January 7 roundup from Overlawyered
New York Times hoisted by its own petard. [Point of Law] Insult to injury: spammer sues spam victim. Earlier: Nov. 8; Jan. 28, 2005; Dec. 8, 2003. [Time; Concurring Opinions] Securities class actions down: what... [Read More]

Comments

Aww, that is so cute! I've just got a pet myself this Christmas, so I'm very soft-hearted when it comes to stories like this. And what's wrong with chickens, anyway?

Dr. Mabuse   ·  January 4, 2007 05:50 PM

You hot linked to the photo instead of copying it to your blog. You're lucky they didn't put an ad for laxative in there or something.

anton   ·  January 4, 2007 09:08 PM

Thanks Anton, and thanks for reading NBS. Technology... shows what I know. I thought clicking "copy" and then "paste" WAS copying it to my blog. I guess the thing to do is download an image to the hard drive, and then upload it to my blog. What a pain.

An ad for laxative would indeed have looked bad under the caption "I love you, a bushel and a peck."

NBS   ·  January 4, 2007 11:19 PM

Yea, you gotta get the actual image not the link to the image. One way to do that is to right click the picture and select "properties." That will show the address of the actual image. PAste that into your address line and you will have the actual image instead of the link. If they disable right click, google "disabled right click" for the workarounds.

anton   ·  January 5, 2007 06:29 AM

Just the chicken sh** and chicken stink

AKL   ·  January 5, 2007 09:28 PM

Any animal will smell if you don't clean up after it. I don't think a year goes by that I don't read a story about health workers in hazmat suits having to go into the house of some crazy old biddy who's got about a hundred unfixed cats roaming around free. If the lady keeps a small number of clean chickens, I don't see what the big deal is.

Dr. Mabuse   ·  January 6, 2007 08:40 AM