When the revolution comes...

February 22, 2007 05:04 PM

... I suggest that some of the first people to go up against the wall ought to be spoiled adults who suffer "post-renovation depression."  Yes, they are the latest suffering group to be profiled in The New York Times in "The New Kitchen is Done.  So Why Can't I Be Happy?"

Let's hear from one of them.  Ann Toth (who can't be mocked on the internet enough) told the NYT:

“People said it would be a great relief when it was over,” she recalled of the project that, for a while, had left a huge hole in the back wall of her house. Instead, she said, “there was a huge hole in my life.”

Suddenly, there were no more decisions to make. “I wasn’t rushing to the home improvement store to pick out faucets or paint or drawer pulls. And I wasn’t up at 3 a.m. obsessing over backsplash tiles,” Ms. Toth said. “And I felt empty.” Not only that, but with the renovation complete, she said, “I was in mourning for the possibilities that were.”

What a shallow and vapid woman!  Mourning for the possibilities that were.

She's not as vapid as Jill Marquiss though:

Renovating — like planning a wedding or caring for an infant — is “all-absorbing,” said Jill Marquiss, who recently redid the kitchen of her 1920s bungalow in Baltimore. For months, the constant shopping was “a kind of rush, a narcotic,” she said. “When I realized that I had to stop, it was a drag.”

Part of the problem was “suddenly having more free time and not remembering how to fill it,” she said. To her “complete and total surprise,” she even began cooking in the kitchen that she and her husband, Michael Norris, had spent almost a year refurbishing.

I love that "to her complete and total surprise she even began cooking in her new kitchen" bit.  Get a life, Jill Marquiss.  She further explains:

But the letdown may also reflect a shattering of the myth that a room is more than just a room. “There is a place where I unconsciously believed that remodeling the kitchen would remodel my life,” said Ms. Marquiss of Baltimore. But it didn’t. “The kitchen was done, but I was still me and Michael was still Michael.”

Aren't you glad you aren't Micheal?  I bet they spent over 100K remodeling the kitchen, and the best his wife could do when the project was finished was tell The New York Times that "Michael was still Michael."  What a self indulgent b****.

Comments

Great post, especially during the season of Lent. This is a lost generation of baby boomers and post boomers that are spiritually bankrupt. And yet they attack the Christian right, support the left, and will see our country become as spiritually bankrupt as they are. God help them.

Brian   ·  February 22, 2007 06:17 PM

Its like touching the third rail to say these women don't have enough to do. They claim stress and exhaustion from sitting on a wide cushion in the SUV waiting for practice to be over, waiting for carry out food, shopping, pilates, Starbucks, etc.

Their life expectancy is already substantially longer than men's but they rail against female disease like they are the only ones who ever get sick. And, consume a material part of the GNP with a bunch of phony cures for non-existent illnesses.

I finally found a gal that works harder than I do - what a sea change! One of her friends confided that she likes to spend a little more than her husband makes "just to keep him motivated." Do I have gratitude or what!

Give me a break.

anton   ·  February 23, 2007 06:40 AM

Here, here ... I totally agree with you about tossing these pampered yuppies to the dogs when the time is right. It's comments like the people in the article's that truly make other nations hate Americans.

I must add, however, that pegging this on "liberal values" is a farce. If anything, this attitude became prevalent during the Reagan era and the "go-go '80s."

Really, I don't think any political philosophy corners the market on greed and self-absorption. They're part of human nature.

Kind, Gentle & Long   ·  February 24, 2007 01:49 PM

I find them as pathetic as the parents who are so "desperate" for children that they will go to any length to have one. They then abandon it, at birth, to an au-pair or a "day orphanage" at 16 weeks and return to work only to whine to co-workers about how guilty they feel about not staying home, and how much they miss their children. Then, when the little tyrants grow into unruly teenagers they wring their hands and they wonder why. "I just don't understand, I gave them EVERYTHING" Yeah, everything except what they needed most - YOU, you selfish boomer.

Mrs. Harrison   ·  February 25, 2007 09:36 AM

The ladies in the NYT article should try buying a 'handyman special' in the country. NO insulation, wiring and plumbing that looks like it was done by retarded monkeys, not to mention pink shag carpet in the Kitchen. 9 years later, and we're almost done. I think the rush will come when I can go a whole week without working on the renovation.

Polymath   ·  March 3, 2007 02:07 PM

Wow. Talk about self-absorbed. We used to have neighbours like this - several of them, in fact, as we once lived in a 100-year old 4-door row of majestic townhouses. We had kids to keep us busy, and the guy next to us was a single guy just managing to live and pay the taxes on a single salary. But the occupants of the other two doors were twin-salary, no kids, multiple cars and had nothing better to do with all their money than constantly scheme about house renovations. Unfortunately, the terms of all our deeds specified that no one could unilaterally alter the exterior of the house so that it didn't match the others, so they were always nagging us poor relations to join with them in their plans. It was a continual battle to fend them off. I'll never forget the time they wanted to replace the colossal 25' high pillars holding up our porticos, because they wanted to change the orientation of the entrance steps from the side to the front! I was glad when we moved out to the unassuming suburbs.

Dr. Mabuse   ·  March 3, 2007 10:04 PM