What do you think of the Chicago Spire?

April 23, 2007 04:06 PM

Which will be North America's tallest skycraper, at 2,000 feet.  That's 550 feet taller than the Sears Tower, which is the next highest structure.

The Spire is designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, and will house 1,200 condos.  The top floor will provide views of four states.  The estimated construction cost is $2 billion.

And here's what it will look like:

Chicago_spire

Comments

It looks like something from Fredrick’s of Hollywood.

Brian   ·  April 23, 2007 05:00 PM

I'm thinking painful dildoey-like structure that says "eff the sky." Read into that what you want...

Joe   ·  April 23, 2007 05:28 PM

"Hey baby. Why don't you come back to my place?"

Anonymous   ·  April 23, 2007 05:29 PM

Does it come with batteries?

Hyde Parker   ·  April 23, 2007 05:30 PM

"Hey baby. Why don't you come back to my place?"
***
Then, "Where do you live?"
"In the giant spiraling penis."

We'll see how that goes.

Joe   ·  April 23, 2007 05:31 PM

Calatrava is clearly trying to compete with Sir Norman Foster's "Gherkin" in London (aka 30 St Mary Axe), which my friend Brian calls the Sex Toy. Whereas the Gherkin is quite fetching, the Spire is just a joke. Are we sure Calatrava isn't some kind of Sasha Baron Cohen-style prankster, trying to pull one over on the silly Yanks?

Jackie Danicki   ·  April 23, 2007 05:39 PM

It is symbolic of the emperialism of the Bush years, and Bush's phallocentric approach to foreign policym, as it rises from the ground, in a tumescent f-you gesture. As such, it is the perfect structure for our times.

Anonymous   ·  April 23, 2007 09:03 PM

It reminds me of my ex girlfriend, Pearl.

Anonymous   ·  April 23, 2007 11:29 PM

"empirialism"? I'll take you seriously when you can use a dictionary.

Speaking of...never mind.

Anonymous   ·  April 24, 2007 01:13 PM

Ginormous Loofah.

Steve the LLamabutcher   ·  April 24, 2007 02:09 PM

It looks like a giant screw. Is that the whole point?

Actually, I kinda like it. It's certainly a building worth taking a trip to go and see. And at least it looks orderly; not just a heap of clashing roofs, like the planned rebuilding of the WTC.

Dr. Mabuse   ·  April 25, 2007 06:42 AM

That looks f[edited by NBS]ing kool. I wish it was even taller. Like a mile high. Then it would be even better. The taller the better!

Mike   ·  April 28, 2007 04:56 PM

I say stick two frickin' balls at the base, plant a bunch of bushes on the other side and call it Cock Tower. Maybe you can design a cool little water fountain to shoot out the head of the head too Calatrava! Thanks for the big fat d*** on the Chicago skyline!

Steve   ·  August 22, 2007 01:48 AM