I had never heard of "Freegans"

June 22, 2007 10:58 AM

Apparently, they're bums with college degrees, who think being a vegan just isn't good enough.  From The New York Times:

Freegans are scavengers of the developed world, living off consumer waste in an effort to minimize their support of corporations and their impact on the planet, and to distance themselves from what they see as out-of-control consumerism. They forage through supermarket trash and eat the slightly bruised produce or just-expired canned goods that are routinely thrown out, and negotiate gifts of surplus food from sympathetic stores and restaurants.

They organized a dumpster dive at NYU:

Ms. Brewster and her mother, who had come from New Jersey, loaded two area rugs into their cart. Her mother, who declined to give her name, seemed to be on a search for laundry detergent, and was overjoyed to discover a couple of half-empty bottles of Trader Joe’s organic brand. (Free and organic is a double bonus). Nearby, a woman munched on a found bag of Nature’s Promise veggie fries.

What digusting people!  I bet they all smell terrible.  Check out what they do about dental care:

“Once in a while I may buy a box of baking soda for toothpaste,” Mr. Weissman said. “And, sure, getting that to market has negative impacts, like everything.” But, he said, parsing the point, a box of baking soda is more ecologically friendly than a tube of toothpaste, because its cardboard container is biodegradable.

The rest of the article as all about how you have to quit your job and eat food that comes from dumpsters.  And then, you too can live like an animal!  Check out how this raccoon describes the creatures around her dumpster:

“Sometimes people will swoop in and grab something, especially when you see a half-used bottle of Tide detergent,” she said. “Who wouldn’t want it?  But most people realize there’s plenty to go around.” She rooted around in the trash bin and found several half-eaten jars of peanut butter. “It’s a never-ending supply,” she said.

Never-ending supply, indeed.  Wouldn't it be fun to get a bunch of liberals, put them in a gigantic terrarium, and just observe?

Comments

It seems to me quite often the MSM looks at the world through an electronic microscope and makes what is miniscule and insignificant common place.

Brian   ·  June 22, 2007 12:36 PM

I know I bang this drum constantly, but I really object to people like this being called 'liberals'. By what measure is this the behavior or attitude of a liberal individual? They are so conservative that they reject all progress made by mankind over the last hundred or so years! More to the point, they would happily force the rest of us to join them. Nothing liberal about that at all.

Jackie Danicki   ·  June 22, 2007 03:42 PM

I understand your point, Jackie. The proper way to describe my own political perspective is classic liberal. But hardly anyone knows what that means anymore. The definitions have changed.

Nasty, Brutish and Short   ·  June 22, 2007 04:35 PM

Well at last I know what to do with that jar of Strings Too Short to Use

AKL   ·  June 22, 2007 04:58 PM

I wonder if they reuse the "one square" that Sheryl Crow allows herself.

I find it all funny that people who HAVE to live like this (in 3rd world countries) would do anything to have the opportunities that these people have. Why not just trade places with someone from a Somalian refugee camp and they can scavenge all they want for food, etc.?

I personally feel blessed to live in a country and raise my children in a country where opportunities abound and they don't HAVE to scrounge for food.

Blessed   ·  June 23, 2007 12:01 PM

At least, based on the description of their personal hygiene, we won't have to worry about them reproducing.

The Nonjuror   ·  June 25, 2007 03:07 PM

A giant terrarium- you mean like Antioch?

Anonymous   ·  July 2, 2007 01:46 PM