From the "Making NBS Seem Mainstream" Department

July 16, 2007 09:26 PM

Last week I introduced you all to someone who is even more conservative than I, this week, I give you someone more snobby.  Do check out the writings of one Rafal Heydel-Mankoo, and his blog, Reflections of a Young Fogey.  Mr. Heydel-Mankoo is an historian, honours consultant, protocol and etiquette consultant, and a royal and political commentator.  He is also the editor of Burke's Peerage & Gentry, and the grandson of Polish aristocrats Baron Adam Heydel and HSH Princess Karolina-Katarzyna Jablonowska.

He also appears to be about 30, thus making him rather young to have devoted a career to monitoring other people's breeding.  I'm a Colonial Warrior, but I don't try to make a living off of it.  It would be fun to have him at a Warrior's event, though--mostly because he's significantly under the average age of 70, and also because he probably doesn't approve of Colonials Who Are Warriors.  A monarchist could really stir things up.  One gets the sense from reading his blog that he is definitely peeved we won the Revolutionary War.

Here's a sample:

Monarchists, traditionalists and historians gathered en masse yesterday evening in the dignified surroundings of London's Travellers Club library to honour the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660; thus marking the end of 11 years of hated, puritanical republican dictatorship. The Royal Stuart Society organises this splendid annual dinner on or around Oak Apple Day, May 29th, King Charles II's birthday and the date of his triumphal entry into London.

He then goes into a lengthy discussion of The Royal Stuart Society, and its aims:

The Society gladly recognises that those who form its membership are likely to have a varied range of particular interests. For some it will primarily be support for the institution of monarchy and the upholding of monarchical institutions against attack from their opponents. This support may favour, for instance, the legitimist stance based on hereditary principles and exemplified in the Jacobite movement and tradition after 1688. Adherents of this position will look with favour on the senior and direct hereditary heirs of the Royal House of Stuart although as our page on ‘Succession’ makes clear, none of those heirs has claimed any or all of the thrones of the British Isles since 1807. Other members of the Society will support or find acceptable the ‘parliamentary’ monarchy created by the Act of Settlement (1701) and now embodied in the reigning House of Windsor. For all there will be a consensus based on the desirability of having a monarchy rather than a republic. Closely linked with support for monarchy, members are likely to favour organised society in these islands being of a Christian, civilized and traditionalist nature. In a more general way they will favour co-operation with other credible monarchist bodies such as the International Monarchist League to support monarchical forms of government worldwide.

The Colonial Warriors have a rather different charter, but we do allow membership to descendants of those who fought for the Crown.  So we'd welcome members of The Royal Stuart Society to join our "hated, puritanical republican" brood.  Apparently, though, the feeling is not mutual.

But I do have something that Mr. Heydel-Mankoo and I surely do agree on.  True story: A few years ago, I was in the Henry VII Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey, near the stone that reads "The Burial Place of Oliver Cromwell 1658-1661."  And hand to God, this obese tourist woman who was standing next to me exclaimed:

"Awwwwwwwww.  He only lived to be three years old!"

If we hadn't been in a Church, I would have just unloaded on that woman.  I'm trying to take in the surroundings, and then there's this idiot.  If you are that stupid, you need to keep your mouth shut.  Those were the years that he was interred her, you fool.  Oliver Cromwell was not a baby.  He was a brutal dictator who got dug up, hanged, and decapitated after the Restoration of the Monarchy.  Not a baby.

Anyway, I'd like to think Mr. Heydel-Mankoo and I would share a common disdain for stupid people.  And both of us would probably would like this photo:

It's the Henry VII Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey, sans fat, ignorant tourists.

Comments

Finally, a society for such as I (the Royal Stuart Society) . Since we have not been a republic in this country since 1865 I might as well be a monarchist. At least with a monarchy we would not have to worry about mob rule.

The Nonjuror   ·  July 17, 2007 09:36 AM

You ARE mainstream, NBS. It's everyone else that's the problem.

Anonymous   ·  July 17, 2007 12:28 PM

It is sad that as an American, my first question is, "Was the obese tourist woman an American?"

Your picture of the Henry VII Lady Chapel reminded me of a sign I had read there that referenced a society that met(?) in the chapel. I did a quick search and came up with the Order of the Bath (one of the British Orders of Chivalry). I was only modestly interested until I came upon a list of the British Orders of Chivalry, the senior most of which is The Most Noble Order of the Garter. Suddenly, I am VERY, VERY interested.

TinCan/TopSoil/Typhoid   ·  July 17, 2007 08:41 PM

You know she was TinCan/TS/TB. You know she was. And I thought about mentioning that, but I just couldn't

Remember the old Saturday Night Live skit with those horrible American tourists in Paris, and one of the spandexy ladies saying of the Louvre "I swear, that place is bigger than Epcott!!" It was the same kind of moment right there at the Abbey.

Nasty, Brutish and Short   ·  July 17, 2007 08:59 PM

You sound like you're Catholic....

Mrs. Peperium   ·  July 18, 2007 08:50 AM

By the way, I'm a DAR-er and a Dame. If we are indeed long lost cousins from the old Salem witchcraft days, I'd be interested in learning which bloodline got you into CWS.

Mrs. Peperium   ·  July 18, 2007 09:24 AM

Mrs. P.,
What does a Catholic sound like? And by the way, like all Anglicans, I am Catholic. Even though the Pope doesn't think so.

Actually, even my former rector doesn't think so, if you want an appalling story. During our pre-marital counseling, we had to fill out info on our religious backgrounds. The two choices were Catholic or Protestant. I said "Well I grew up in the Episcopal church, which one am I supposed to pick? Should I pick both?" He was totally confused, and he told me I needed to mark "Protestant." Silly me, I thought being both Protestant AND Catholic was the whole point of Anglicanism. We're glad to be done with him, he was a theological train wreck.

Ancestors: Richard Warren from the Mayflower and a number of others. I think my Warrior's ancestor was Captain Seth Pope; I haven't filled out the paperwork to add more. I'm assuming that's what one does in retirement.

Nasty, Brutish and Short   ·  July 18, 2007 02:45 PM

Catholics don't like Cromwell...Though my seriously Protestant ancestors were quite keen on him.

Ah, a Warren. I've stood on the stone marking where your ancestor (Dr. Warren, I presume) fell at Bunker Hill. Used to toss tennis balls for my sheepdog at that marker, hope you don't mind... My Mayflower connection is actually one of the crew -the cabin boy in fact - but he went back with the boat to England so completely disqualified for all Mayflower hereditary societies. He did return and he settled the town of Dedham in 1636. Yes, this sort of stuff is exactly what one does in retirement and I'm looking forward to it. Fortunately, my family stayed pretty close to all the areas they settled in so we know a lot already but there's always more to find out.

You mentioned Cranbrook before with. We were married at the Episcopal Church there. You wouldn't be any chance be familiar with the Rev. Donald Waring? I understand he's somewhere in your parts these days.

Mrs. Peperium   ·  July 18, 2007 03:08 PM

Dear NBS,

I am pleased to confirm that I do indeed share your disdain for people such as you have described. I also appreciate the splendid photograph of the Henry VII Chapel in Westminster Abbey, complete with Bath Banners of the Knights Grand Cross.

Whilst I am familiar with the Society of the Cincinatti, the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States and various other similar bodies (some of which appear in my book on World Orders) I am not acquainted with the Colonial Warriors. Nevertheless I have no doubt that you are a jolly decent group and, should the opportunity ever arise, I would be delighted to attend a future gathering.

Whilst I regard monarchies as infinitely superior to republics, I do not suggest that a restoration is an advisable course for your nation to pursue!

Yours,

RHM

Rafal Heydel-Mankoo a.k.a. Young Fogey   ·  July 19, 2007 05:07 AM

Well, when I started this blog, I never thought I'd have Polish aristocrats showing up in the comments. Welcome Rafal Heydel-Mankoo!

In re: the Colonial Warriors. The oldsters hate it when I call the group by that name. It's really The Society of Colonial Wars, and is for the gentlemen descendants of officers or office holders who served in the Colonies between the settlement of Jamestown in 1607 and the Battle of Lexington in 1775.

Nasty, Brutish and Short   ·  July 19, 2007 12:35 PM

Mrs. P,
I don't know Rev. Waring, but I do know he has moved out of the area, and is now the rector of Grace Church, NYC.

Nasty, Brutish and Short   ·  July 19, 2007 01:28 PM

My Dear NBS, I come to you through the good offices of Mrs. P, I hope you will forgive my forwardness. On my American side, I am a Mayflower Child, member of the SoCW(MO) and the Cincinnati(MA) even the Loyal Legion(IL), mentioned by Mr. Heydel-Mankoo. You must come over to St. Louis for our next SoCW Winter Court. It will give me someone under 80 to speak with over the port and nuts...I do like your website, very nasty, brutish and...Well, I see you are a man after my own heart. Keep up the nasty, brutish, etc. work.

Basil Seal   ·  July 19, 2007 09:07 PM

You two Warriors must never forget that if it weren't for my ancestor navigating the boat, -alright, alright, bringing rum when the Captain called for it and he probably de-loused your ancestors too - you wouldn't be Warriors.

Mrs. Peperium   ·  July 20, 2007 08:32 AM