Idiot of the Day: The Enquirer's Ray Cooklis

February 29, 2008 09:26 AM

Here he chimes in on William F. Buckley.  Take it away, Ray:

You certainly can argue that Buckley was an ideologue - he almost single-handedly created the modern American conservative movement - but not in the pejorative sense we've infected that word with.

"Not in the pejorative sense we've infected that word with."  Hun?  What does that mean?  I didn't know conservative had a pejorative sense.  And who's the "we" who has infected the word conservative with a perjorative sense?  Since it's coming from a member of the media, I think we can guess who the "we" is.

And how asinine is the phrase "you can certainly argue that Buckley was an ideologue"?  Hell yes, he was an ideologue.  That was his entire point.

Comments

"In retrospect it amazes me just how improbable the modern Republican coalition really was. Cooked up in the mix of interest groups who voted Republican from Reagan through Bush 2 are business cons who absolutely depend on illegal immigration and nativists who will never rest until they end it, you have fiercely anti-Catholic evangelicals and Catholic partisans. Some credit goes to the guy convinced imperialist big-government Trotskyite communists-turned-neoconservatives, Libertarians, panty-sniffing sex crusaders and William F. Buckley to pull the same lever for any meaningful period of time. The job called for some brilliant, evil sick [crazies]; too bad the GOP ran out of the brilliant kind."
John Cole

carsick   ·  February 29, 2008 10:27 AM

Hmmm, I read it differently, I read pejorative as referring to the term ideologue...

Chris S   ·  February 29, 2008 10:53 AM

Cris S is right.
"You certainly can argue that Buckley was an ideologue...but not in the pejorative sense we've infected that word with."

carsick   ·  February 29, 2008 10:57 AM

I guess you can read it that way. I don't think there's anything pejorative about the term "ideologue" either, though. But presumably if you read this blog, that's rather apparent.

NBS   ·  February 29, 2008 01:41 PM

NBS
You "guess" it can be read that way?
May I humbly suggest you read this:

Anonymous   ·  March 3, 2008 09:58 AM

And I would direct your attention to Strunk & White's most famous maxim: "Do not affect a breezy manner." If that's not an affected, breezy manner, I don't know what is.

I spoke to an NBS reader on Friday night who saw the same thing I did in Cooklis's prose, and actually called the Enquirer to complain about it.

NBS   ·  March 3, 2008 10:50 AM