Nope, still no baby

March 16, 2008 08:21 PM

Thanks to those of you who have asked.  Still no signs.  I was hoping for something this weekend, so I could miss work on Monday.  But nothing yet.

The official due date is not until Tuesday.  I keep reminding Mrs. NBS of that.  "It's not like a library book," I tell her.  "You don't have to have finished with it by the due date."  I know, I'm not much help.  But really, what am I supposed to do?  Since I don't know, I just crack lame jokes, like asking, "Are you stuck?" when she was dusting under the bed.  That got a big laugh.  From me, anyway.  I thought Winnie the Pooh jokes were baby-appropriate?

I did get a laugh out of her when I packed my bag for the hospital.  It started out with me thinking that I may have to come straight from work, and would not want to go through all that "hospital stuff" in a suit.  So I packed my own bag: Duck boots (in case things get messy), wicking fabric shorts and shirt (if it's sweaty) and airport-sized bottles of rum that I got out of a piñata at a Halloween party a few years back (no parenthetic explanation needed).  And no, cheap rum is not my beverage of choice, but I think it's tacky to make a liquor store run just so you can pack you childbirth bag.  And now's actually a good time to get it off the NBS bar--I never have it out if people are over.  I think it's orange flavored, or something like that.  But as they say, any port in a storm.

Ooooo.  There's an idea.  Maybe I should pack some port?

Bean Boots by L.L.Bean®, Men's 6

Comments

Keep reminding her that just like the library there is a fine for being late!!

Now for your baggage: Port good, Scotch better, and I would suggest a catcher's mitt just in case.

Our first was delivered in a suite with the new technology of CD and DVD players to sooth the mom to be. It was my job to pack the "entertainment/soothing bag". Suggestion: Do NOT pack Braveheart, Gettysburg, or anything starring Hugh Grant.

If you want to jump start delivery I say watch Aliens.

Good luck and best wishes.

The Nonjuror   ·  March 17, 2008 08:14 AM

Very gute. It's a magical time!

Joyce   ·  March 17, 2008 08:21 AM

Too bad the baby won't be eligible to vote this fall.

Saul Panzer   ·  March 17, 2008 10:56 AM

Not to scare you needlessly, but both of our kids were a couple weeks late. To make matters worse the in-laws came to visit us a week or so before the due date so every day she didn't deliver delayed their departure. . . .

largebill   ·  March 17, 2008 03:04 PM

Don't worry about the boots . . they will give you booties at the hospital!

And forget the non-juror's suggestion of Aliens - watch Psycho instead. If the baby doesn't pop out during the "root cellar" scene, you've got a problem!

PRT

Polite, Refined and Tall   ·  March 17, 2008 04:38 PM

Don't worry about the boots . . they will give you booties at the hospital!

PRT

Polite, Refined and Tall   ·  March 17, 2008 04:39 PM

My advice on the labor.
When the time comes, ask for the drugs early (it usually takes them a while to get to you)---then be sure they have something for your wife too ;-).

been there done that   ·  March 17, 2008 05:45 PM

let's see. no updates for quite some time. no lovely vacation setting either. hmmm.
NBS must be busy, but is he baby busy?

wondering   ·  March 26, 2008 09:52 PM